In between the hecticness that is March, I’ve been doing my fair share of
pondering thinking. It doesn’t do any good to keep musings contained in ones nervous system <- abit of gibberish right there..so I assumed it best to join Amanda and Think Out Loud.
1. I have daily fantasies of how cool it would be to have 7 or so clones just so I could get to read ALL the blogs. Of course I would need 7 or so forms of internet access (and I currently work with two very limited forms), but let’s ignore the finer details of my dream. My saving grace just so happens to be dedicated Link-love posts. Whenever I click on a link that hits close to home or proves entrancingly captivating, I immediately think how awful it would be if I had missed it. If my brain did not have the opportunity to grasp that magnificent content, how would I live?
2. So thank you to all my lifesavers 🙂 . Miss Polkadot’s latest round-up featured Becky’s “When I grow up”, which was exactly what I needed to
hear read. A huge wave of relief washed over me as I read everyone’s ‘voice’ on the matter and it prompted me to make the final decision on an integral life choice. Basically something that teens usually have done by 18, I’m starting soon. No it’s not going back to school – I kind of wish! At my age I thought I should have it all figured out…doing what I love. Only I don’t have anything figured out because I’m still in the process of finding out what I do love doing.
3. Orange sweet potatoes are a scarcity in my parts. I literally do a little squealy dance when I happen upon them. I was struck with a sweet potato-nut buttery-cottage cheese craving a few weeks ago, but after 2 grocery runs and no luck with the orange guys…I resorted to settling with their dull but suitably delicious cousins.
If I am correct, in other areas of the world people are doing the happy dance when they find white sweet potatoes!? Like they say..the grass is always greener 😉
4. While we are so involved with sweet potatoes, can someone please break down the roasting procedure in easily comprehensible English. I scrubbed, poked, rubbed with some coconut oil, and laid it on tin foil. Baked at 200C for -40 min. turning halfway through. The outer area cooked perfectly, but deep down in its core things were a tad rock solid. Maybe I need to poke them holes deeper? I ended up having to slit it open and microwave for a minute to get that fluff factor. YUM!
5. I have a confession. I have never had a regular ol’ baked potato. It wouldn’t be a problem, but you see I’ve been envisioning one with a blob of melty butter on *gasp*, and now I can’t get it out of my head. What is the best method of baking a potato?
6. I like to think I am allergic to butter. Except not really. I have no qualms consuming the richness if someones else cooks/bakes. But spreading butter on bread or using it in recipes for myself? Nothing doing. But I have a hunch that I will willingly smear some on a baked potato.
7. All this potato talk, goodness! Did you ever hear an owl hoot? I’m not referring to movies or when Mum told you a story when you were a tot, but an owl outside your window just before dawn – calling out a soft, mysterious, haunting tune. It gives me a delightful shiver…love it! We have two that often honor us with their esteemed presence.
8. I don’t know if you guys have ever taken note – or maybe it just happens in my world (of aliens and fluffy socks 😉 ) – in summer, sunsets are layered with soft colors including pink and purple. As the season turns colder, the residual daylight appears duller and contained to orange and yellow. Breathtakingly beautiful nonetheless.
9. Sometimes I just feel so sick and tired of being responsible. Crazy huh? It’s like I’m done with playing by the rules and being known as a human who ‘stays on top of things’, ‘meets deadlines even if it kills her’, ‘puts work first’. It’s disturbing, because I should be gearing up for more responsibilities as I get older. Lately I’ve been slacking with living up to my punctual reputation…
10. Errh I’m kinda not yet done with talking about potatoes. Ever had that time where a certain combo sends you to taste bud heaven, and you forever regret not capturing that meal? On a whim for lunch the other day, I mixed 2 spoonfuls of tuna with a few tablespoons of Roasted Red pepper hummus, a good squeeze of lime juice, and a sprinkle of black pepper. Then proceeded to scoop it up with roasted sweet potato and broccoli. Gahhh so good. Do it! You are required to like fish to enjoy it though 😉 .
11. Who’s going to be having a baked
sweet potato after this chat?
potato eating Thursday 🙂